As business trips abroad slowly begin resume, travellers must be aware they’ll still be facing a number of significant risks associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, as most travel insurance policies won’t provide coronavirus-related protection.
Also, in light of the evolving coronavirus situation, a number of governments have issued entry restrictions, visa suspensions and quarantine measures for travellers; some have imposed an entry requirement that travellers should hold a valid passed COVID-19 test certificate.
You can still buy your travel insurance with Avo Insurance, and on selected policies, namely our China and Greater Bay Area plans, we are offering an Add-on Service - CUHK Medical Clinic COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Real-time PCR Test together with a Coronavirus Disease Protection (Included FREE) plan.
But before you pack your suitcase, you’ll need to check the following government websites for advice and updates on the latest outbound and inbound travel arrangements:
Outbound travellers heading to China will be required to have a valid and passed COVID-19 test certificate to satisfy China immigration entry requirements.
Travellers can purchase the CUHK Medical Clinic COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Real-time PCR Test, as part of the Add-on Service to Avo China and Greater Bay Area Travel Protection Plans.
COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) Real-time PCR Test:
A PCR antigen test detects the sequence of the virus RNA and is highly accurate; the antigen test detects the presence of the SARS-CoV-2 in your body.
To get a PCR test, you need to provide your respiratory samples. Doctors at the CUHK Medical Clinic may take your nasal swab or collect your deep throat saliva. All the samples are sent to a local COVID-19 testing institutions recognised by the Hong Kong SAR Government for analysis.
The packaged “Deep Throat Saliva” testing service for detection of COVID-19 is provided by CUHK Medical Clinic.
The COVID-19 viral test shall be performed by a local COVID-19 testing institutions recognised by the Hong Kong SAR Government.
- Pre-test infection risk assessment through doctor consultation (physical or teleconsultation)
- The specimen collection process can be conducted at home
- Result of the test to be informed by clinic staff normally in 1-2 working days (from submission date of the sample)
- Complimentary Coronavirus Disease Protection Insurance offered:
- The policy effective date shall be the same as the original travel policy effective date and no further changes is allowed.
- No benefits shall be payable for any Coronavirus Disease resulting directly or indirectly from or in respect of any event which arises before the policy effective date.
The details of the Hong Kong health code system are to be announced by the Hong Kong SAR Government.
Without prejudice, Avo Insurance shall not be liable to any person for any loss, damage, expenses or claim (whether direct or indirect) in relation to this Add-on Service or goods and/or services provided under this Service.
- Q1. What is the Add-on Service of Avo China/GBA Travel Protection?keyboard_arrow_downOur Add-on Service includes a ”Deep Throat Saliva” Testing Service for Detection of COVID – 19 by the Chinese University of Hong Kong Medical Clinic (CUHKMC). When you purchase this Add-on Service, we will offer you a 30-day protection period of Coronavirus Disease Protection for free.
- Q2. When should I conduct the COVID-19 test after purchasing an Add-on Service of Avo China/GBA Travel Protection?keyboard_arrow_downYou must conduct the COVID-19 test within 30 days after purchase. We suggest you to make a booking for the test no less than 5-6 working days in advance to ensure that you can get the test results before the insured trip starts.
- Q3. Where should I go for COVID-19 test after purchasing the Add-on Service?keyboard_arrow_downAfter you purchasing the add-on service, we will send you a confirmation letter with CUHK Medical Clinic address and contact by email. You can consult the doctor by teleconsultation or go to CUHK Medical Clinic in person for consultation (make appointment in advance).
- Q4. When will I know my COVID-19 test result?keyboard_arrow_downNormally, the report will be sent to the clinic in 1-2 working days, the CUHK Medical Clinic staff will call you to explain the result and the report will be sent to you by email.
- Q5. Can I get my COVID-19 test result on the same day?keyboard_arrow_downYes. As long as you make an appointment to complete the test before 11am and pay an additional charge of HK$300, you should be able to get the COVID-19 test results in the afternoon on the same day. Please contact CUHK Medical Clinic for the exact arrangement.
- Q6. My deep throat saliva sample bottle is ready, can I send it to the laboratory directly?keyboard_arrow_down
You can use the delivery service at your own expense (please check with the CUHK Medical Clinic for more details) or go to the laboratory collection point in person.
Specified laboratory collection points:
1. 28th Floor, Lee & Man Commercial Centre, 169 Electric Road, Fortress Hill, Hong Kong (MTR Exit A)
2. 1810, East Point Centre, 555 Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong (MTR Exit D2)
3. 1005 A Melbourne Plaza, 33 Queen's Road Central, Central, Hong Kong (MTR Exit D2)
4. 1215 Argyle Centre, Phase 1, 688 Nathan Rd., Mongkok, Kln. (Sai Yeung Choi St. Entrance, MTR Exit B2)
- Q7. What should I do if the doctor decides not to perform the COVID-19 test on me because of my upper respiratory symptoms?keyboard_arrow_down
Please contact our customer service team via [email protected] or call +(852) 3572 8222 within 5 days. We will refund HK$250 to you after the deduction of the consultation fee. The refund will be returned directly to your respective payment account or agreed payment means within 10 working days after we have received and processed your application.
Please note that in case the doctor does not recommend you to perform the COVID-19 test, and you apply for a refund, the complimentary Coronavirus Disease Protection will also be cancelled.
- Q8. Can I apply for a refund if I did not conduct the COVID-19 test due to personal reason before my insured trip starts?keyboard_arrow_downWe are sorry that this Add-on Service cannot be cancelled and no refund can be arranged.
- Q9. What kind of protection does the Coronavirus Disease Protection cover?keyboard_arrow_downIf you are diagnosed with coronavirus disease during the policy period, we will pay you a hospital benefit amount of HK$10,000.
- Q10. When is the effective date and is there any waiting period for the complimentary Coronavirus Disease Protection cover?keyboard_arrow_downThe effective date of the Coronavirus Disease Protection (Included FREE) will be the commence on the same day as the effective day of the Avo China or GBA Travel Protection Plan you would have purchased; there is no waiting period to the Coronavirus Disease Protection (Included FREE) Plan.
- Q11. If I decided to change my travel plan and as a consequence have to amend my travel protection policy period, will the effective date of the Coronavirus Disease Protection (Included FREE) Plan be changed accordingly?keyboard_arrow_downWe are sorry that the effective date of the Coronavirus Disease Protection (Included FREE) is not changeable and attached to the original effective date of the travel protection policy when it was purchased.