Ms Cherry’s employer provides her with the basic medical insurance coverage, but Ms Cherry wanted more and better coverage, so she purchases a VHIS Standard Plan for herself.
"Oh no, not again! I’ve got tonsillitis again? It's the 5th time this year!"
|Benefit Item||Charges (HKD)||Claim Amount (HKD)|
|Room and board||1,520||1,500|
|Attending doctor's visit fee||1,800||1,500|
|Operating theatre charges||3,400||3,400|
|Charges in total||52,750|
|From own pocket||16,445|
- The Policy Holder must hold a valid Hong Kong ID card and aged 18 or over.
- The Insured Person must be a Hong Kong resident and aged between 15 days and 80 years.
- VHIS guarantees the policy can be renewed up to the age of 100 regardless of the change in health condition of the Insured Person, subject to the renewal provisions.
- Application for VHIS Certified Plan is subject to underwriting, applicants shall have the obligation to disclose personal information and material facts. The standard premium may be adjusted in accordance with the age, gender and/or lifestyle factors of the Insured Person. Based on the health conditions of the proposed Insured Person, Avo may impose premium loading and/or case-based exclusion(s) or declining an application. For the avoidance of doubt, we shall adjust the standard premium on a portfolio basis.
- The Policy Holder has the right of cancelling the VHIS policy with full refund of paid premium during the cooling-off period of 21 days.
- Taxpayer (as the Policy Holder) who pay qualifying premiums under a VHIS Certified Plan for himself/herself or any specified relatives can claim tax deductions. For more details, please refer to the Inland Revenue Ordinance or click here.
- The policy terms and benefits of VHIS Certified Plan to be revised from time to time published and subject to the regular review by the Government.
- Premium in Standard Premium Schedule does not include levy which is collected by the Insurance Authority.
- Total premium payable (include levy) quoted has included the Premium Levy as required by the Insurance Authority. For more details, click here.
- For details of coverage, terms and conditions, and exclusions, please refer to the Policy Wordings and Benefit Schedule.
The Voluntary Health Insurance Scheme (VHIS) is a policy measure formally implemented by the HKSAR government in April 2019. Its objectives include:
- Enhance the protection level of hospital insurance products
- Provide the public with an additional choice of using private healthcare services through hospital insurance
- Relieve the pressure on the public healthcare system in the long run
At the same time, the premiums paid for the VHIS Policy are eligible for tax deduction under the Inland Revenue Ordinance (Cap.112).
For more detailed information about VHIS, please refer to the Health Bureau's VHIS website.